Release of Australia’s third Open Government National Action Plan
Today the Albanese Government has reaffirmed Australia’s commitment to the Open Government Partnership (OGP) with the release of Australia’s third Open Government National Action Plan.
The Albanese Government is committed to integrity, honesty and accountability in government. We are delivering a significant integrity reform agenda to restore public trust in government and strengthen standards of integrity in the federal public sector, and the OGP objectives of transparency and accountability are key to achieving this.
The National Action Plan extends from 2024-2025 and commits the Australian Government to delivering eight important initiatives to improve public participation and engagement in government, strengthen integrity in government and the corporate sector and enhance Australia’s democratic processes. The commitments in this Plan will:
- create transparency in the use of automated decision making and responsible use of artificial intelligence
- improve public participation of youth in government
- further strengthen integrity within the Commonwealth public sector
- build a pathway towards a beneficial ownership register
- increase accountability and transparency in procurements and grants
- improve protections for public sector whistleblowers
- strengthen transparency in political donations and political advertising
- improve media literacy in vulnerable communities to address mis- and dis information.
These commitments have been co-designed by government and civil society through Australia’s Open Government Forum and benefited from two rounds of public consultation. Forum members will monitor the implementation of the commitments.
Further information on the Open Government Partnership and Australia’s third National Action Plan is available on the Attorney-General's Department website.